Heel pain is a common ailment that afflicts many individuals, and celebrities are no exception. Former Spice Girl, Victoria Beckham suffers from chronic heel pain as a result of her refusal to wear any other shoes apart from high heels.
While high heels are one possible cause for heel pain, there are many reasons why one might experience discomfort in the heel area.
What Causes Heel Pain?
Plantar fasciitis is one of the leading causes of heel pain, and is caused by the inflammation of the plantar fascia, a thick band of tissue that connects your heel bone to your toe, and by doing so, runs across the bottom of your foot to create the arch.
Achilles tendinitis is another reason why you might experience pain in the heel area. If the pain is on the bottom of your heel, it’s likely to be Plantar fasciitis, but if you experience discomfort alongside the back of your heel, that is a common symptom of Achilles tendinitis. Achilles tendinitis can be diagnosed via an MRI or an ultrasound.
How can I prevent heel pain?
With the foot containing 26 bones, the largest of which is your heel, proper precautions can help prevent discomfort and pain. Dr. Paul Klein is a podiatrist who specializes in diagnosing and treating heel pain and other foot conditions.
- Wear proper shoes- while you may enjoy living on the more fashionable side of life, high heels can cause deformities that in turn, trigger pain.
- Maintain a healthy diet- obesity can cause multiple issues with the feet, so by maintaining a healthy diet, you prevent the extra strain on your feet.
- Ensure that your shoes fit correctly and provide support for your feet
- Stretch before you exercise
How is heel pain treated?
- Orthotic devices can elevate your arches and provide cushioning to aching heels
- Doctors can prescribe strong anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- If several months of treatment don’t work, or your tendon has torn, doctors may suggest surgery